Friday, December 5, 2008
Squirrel cottage, Halifax
This is my first blog via the cellphone. Mark has taken the laptop to London. I dropped him off at Halifax railway station after we spent most of the day exploring Halifax. Halifax is a busy little town in West Yorkshire and just happens to be where I was born 36 years ago tommorow. It's been 28 years since I was last here but I stil remember many places. Today I took Mark to see both places where my two sets of grandparents used to live - Manor Drive and Hayes Lane in Mixenden. We then went to Copley and I was able to show Mark the flat where we used to live, the hill we used to sledge down and the stairs that I fell down and needed three stitches to fix the gash above my right eye - I still have the scar! I showed him the Piece Hall, Borough market and the Victorian theatre where I saw Bedknobs and Broomsticks with my Aunt Debbie. A trip down nostalgia lane! Everything seems to have shrunk or is it that I am a little bigger than I was when I was 8? After putting Mark on the train I went to Sainsbury's to get supplies. Unfortunately I have not been able to find Wagon Wheels - big chocolatey biscuits I remember from being a kid. I then drove out to Squirrel cottage which is about 5 km out of Halifax in Queensbury. Its a bit higher up and there's still some snow around. The cottage is fantastic - 5 star ++. I'm glad not to be in a B+B. I've had a couple of glasses of red wine and a lasagne I bought from Sainsbury's and I'm now relaxing in front of the TV. I'm off to meet my Grandmother and my Uncle Steve tommorow. A great start to my first day back in my birthplace - Damian
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment