The big day! After 27 years I renewed old ties with my birthplace and with my family making this a very special Birthday. The day started by visiting my Grandmother who lives in Shelf about 3 miles out of Halifax. We greeted each other with hugs and sat down to catch up (where do you start?) She says she easily recognised me but that might have something to do with the shrine of photos she has of me (rivalled only by the one my mother keeps). She is older and frail but was in good spirits and we were quickly reminiscing about my childhood. My Mother and Aunt rang with Birthday wishes although the award has to go to my Nana in NZ who has mastered the art of text messaging. My Uncle Steve arrived (looks like my Grandad) and gave me two books - a history of Halifax and a "booik" of yorkshire dialect. Both great presents! My Grandmother showed me photographs from when I was younger and some of my Grandfather who died in 1983. I"ve borrowed them to make copies. Uncle Steve then took me for a walk over the moors from Ogden to Hayes lane where my Granparents used to live. The day was clear, the air crisp and the moors were covered with patchy snow. At times it was a little hard going. The panoramic views were as good as any other scenery that I've seen in England
A very special moment for me was finding the grove of trees in to which my Grandfather carved the names of many family members. I found my father's, my uncles' and there, after 27 years , was my name clearly carved and visible and dated 1981.
My grandfather was a lovely man and I have fond memories of him. His ashes are scattered on the moors which he used to frequently walk.
At Hayes lane we were able to see the house in which my Grandparents lived and in which al 3 brothers grew up. It seemed smaller than I remember but I guess I'm bigger than I was back then! We then walked back to the car and drove back to my grandmother's house. After picking up my Grandmother we headed down to the Pub where we met my Aunt Jane and my cousins Thomas and Rachel and their partners. We had a nice meal before heading back to their house where we looked at more family photos and some of my grandfather's things - his watch, his cufflinks, his birth certificate and his soldier's service book. He was a Lance Corporal in World War II. I never knew that. I dropped my Grandmother home before returning to Squirrel Cottage and here I am writing this blog. I'm not sure what's happening tomorrow but I hope to explore more of Halifax and spend more time with my Grandmother - Damian
Saturday, December 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment