Another good day in London, fine, cool, crisp and clear. I caught a bus to Spitalfields to see Christ Church Spitalfields, a Hawksmoor church which has been restored since I was last here. Its a fantastic building, the organ dates from Handel's time and they are still looking for the 1 million pounds necessary to restore it. Hawksmoor worked with Wren and was commissioned to build 50 extra churches for central London. This was to allow the 'Godless' to have a church within walking distance. These two Hawksmoor churches have been neglected over the last decades, but a lot of money was raised and donated, and they now are great examples of the English Baroque.
I then had lunch at St Martin's again, more soup and Christmas pudding. I bought a copy of A Shropshire Lad, Damian and I listened to a reading of it as we drove around and we were both very moved by, lost youth, lost love. I had a look at the other central London Hawksmoor Church, St George's Bloomsbury Way and then walked to The Banqueting House in Whitehall. Another very impressive building, this one designed by Inigo Jones. The ceiling is made up of 9 huge canvas' by Ruebens who was paid 3000 pounds! in 1635! James I started it and Charles I finished it off. Both Kings were believers in the divine right of Kings. Parliament and the people tired enough of this to have Charles I tried for treason and beheaded right there in the Banqueting House in 1649. This happened beneath the Ruebens paintings which are all about the godlike nature of royalty, a very powerful irony.
I wandered down to the Abbey for Evensong, a good service with music by Mendelssohn and Howells. I sat next to the director of music in the quire, you just got to know who to talk to. Caught the 38 bus home from Victoria to Islington. For the second half of the 40 minute bus trip most people couldn't even get on the bus, it was so full. Imagine standing on the footpath after work waiting for the next bus which might be just as full as the last, that's London!
Stanley cooked a fabulous dinner, seafood risotto followed by sticky toffee pudding and custard. I think I will have to sit up for a while to help dinner settle.
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment