Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Munich - day 7
Today we decided to catch the bus into town to visit the Hofgarten - an Italian renaissance style garden built in the 1600s. It has a temple to Diana in the center where there sometimes hold tango dancing (not in winter though) and around its edges men were playing boules and musicians were playing. There were some very nice antique shops including one which had a fantastic range of carriage clocks something we've always thought we might like to have. Unfortunately the NZD is not strong enough against the Euro and things are generally expensive. We stopped for lunch at Cafe Tambosi which is located beside the garden. Mark ordered the set menu which included pork involtini and I had a panini followed by the most enormous piece of chocolate tart you have ever seen. Aftewards we continued into town to the Marianplatz. On one of it's corners there is a church (St Peter's) and you can pay 1.50 Euro to climb its tower for a view of the city. The steps were narrow and seemed to go on forever but the view was worth it from the top. I was amazed by just how big Munich actually is. It sprawled out for miles in each direction. There were very few skyscrapers to be seen unlike other cities we visited. Unfortunately we didn't get to the see the alps because of low cloud on the horizon I think. We visited the Viktualien market for supplies before returning home. I should mention that I had planned to ski on Tuesday but left my booking too late and missed out on the coach. I'm going on Friday (Boxing day) instead
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment