Friday, December 12, 2008

Halifax – Suffolk – Cambridge

I left Halifax today. It was sad saying goodbye to my Grandmother. I told her that I hoped to return in the near future - who knows may be a few well selected conferences might bring me back to this part of the world. I met my Uncle Steve at his place for a last goodbye before leaving Halifax via the A1/M1 and then continuing southeast on the A14 to Suffolk – a distance of 280 km. The roads were busy with lots of trucks. There was so much grime on the road that I constantly had to wash the windscreen. I arrived in Suffolk by mid-afternoon with just enough daylight to take in Lavenham – a small town where my parents had their wedding reception, Kersey – a very small town after which we named our first dog, and Bentley – home to Ian’s parents. I managed to get photos in each place but did little else as I was worried that I was going to run out of daylight I enjoyed driving on the small country roads which after often no wider than a single car which makes dealing with oncoming traffic very challenging. With darkness descending (at the usual time of 4 o clock) I decided to travel the short distance to Cambridge where I would stay the night before travelling on to London the next day. In Cambridge I found a very average B+B where I settled down for the night after having a walk around town and finding some dinner.

No comments:

Followers