A cold rainy day in West Yorkshire. I got up early and headed into the town centre. I got a quote from one shop of 99 pence per photo to copy and from another 1 pound 99 for as many photos as you like scanned to a CD! I chose the latter of couse and now have a great collection of photos of my childhood here in Halifax as well as some of my Grandparents. I then drove to my old infant school which was still there and my old primary school whch unfortunately was boarded up and looked derelict. What a shame! Perhaps it's moved somewhere else.
I drove over to my Grandmother's house and took her out for some lunch and a drive around Halifax. Armed with a GPS, a car and addreses provided by my family I was able to visit the places where my Mother and my Aunt grew up. For their infromation - I've been to Bank Top and Higgin Lane in Southowram and Norwood Green where my Aunt Debbie used to live. I've taken photos of the houses. I hope they were the right ones otherwise I've been taking pictures of random people's houses. I could probably get arrested!
Lastly, we had a look at Shibden park where I used to go sledging as a child. I remember a family sledging trip where I was placed on the front of the sledge to break the fall of my parents when we all plunged head first into the snow at the bottom of the hill. Sounds very fair doesn't it
I took my Grandmother home and stopped for a while before getting returning to Squirrel Cottage (haven't seen a single one by the way) I've had a very Yorkshire meal of pie and mushy peas.
Tommorow I'm off to meet my Great Uncle Gordon (my Grandmother's (NZ) ony surviving sibling). Afterwards I'll take my Grandmother to Hebden Bridge for lunch. Snow is expected. In the evening I'm off to the pub with my Uncle Steve.
A quote from "Yorkshire Dialect Classics" -
"Ther's nowt so queer as folk..Ther' all on 'em queer, bar thee 'an me -- an' sometimes Ah'm nut so sewer abaht thee!"
Damian
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment