Friday, November 14, 2008

London: Borough Market, Southward Cathedral, Manze's




Saturday was a big day for us. We ventured across to the south side of the Thames to Borough market – London’s oldest food market. It’s very popular especially with tourists – lots of people looking but not much buying going on. We bought our first Pork Pie (voted England’s Best Pork Pie according to Rick Steins’ Food Heroes) Showing my ignorance I asked for it to be heated which is not what you do! I’m English – I should have known better!

Southwark cathedral is located next to borough market. We went inside for a look around and sat in on the memorial service of a dentist to the Queen! How’s that for a unique London experience.

We went to the Old Operating Theatre and Herb Garret which is the Britain’s only surviving 19th century operating theatre. It was found in the Garret of St Thomas’ church in 1956. There was quiet a good display of anaesthetic equipment including a walking stick which was leather bound and also served for something to place between the patient’s teeth to bite on during amputations etc. You could see the teeth marks!!!

From the oldest market and oldest operating theatre we moved on to Manze’s – Britain’s’ oldest Pie Shop being established in 1902. It was not for those with a weak stomach in my opinion. Mark had jellied eels and liquor (parsley sauce) with mashed potatoes. I had pie and liquor and mash potatoes. We washed it down with sarsaparilla. This is one London experience I wouldn’t be in a hurry to repeat! The picture above is of jellied eels.

I almost forgot our trip to Holly and Lil – collar couture for dog! (http://www.hollyandlil.co.uk/
) Gus now has a birthday present which he will have to wait until we get home to receive.

In the evening we went back to Stanley’s and had a very nice dinner with Stanley and Gordon another ex-pat from New Zealand.

No comments:

Followers